by Eric Dunbar
The definition of sovereign is principal; chief; supreme. The sovereignty of God speaks of God as the chief Being in the universe and the supreme power in the universe. Although God is in control of all things, He sometimes chooses to let certain events happen according to the natural laws which He has put in motion.
The Sovereignty of God
God is sovereign in that He stands all alone among the gods of the world. There is nothing in the universe that is outside of God’s authority and influence. God is sovereign in that He has no limitations whatsoever.
God is sovereign because He is:
- King of kings and Lord of lords
- Above all things and before all things
- Alpha and omega, the beginning and the end
- In control of all things and rules over all things
- Knowledgeable of all things
- Everywhere at the same time,not just on earth but in the entire universe, past, present and future
- Creator of all things
What Does ‘God Is Sovereign’ Mean?
When we say that God is sovereign we mean He is:
- The Most High God that can do according to His will without having to answer to anyone
- The Almighty God
- Possessor of Heaven and earth
It is God’s sovereignty that makes Him superior to all other gods and makes Him, and Him alone, worthy of worship. God’s sovereignty compels us to bow before Him, but not like kings of the earth,God rules in love. He loves you and wants the best for you, and He desires that you freely love Him as well.
God is working out His sovereign plan of redemption for the world. Immediately after the Fall God specified the cure for man’s sin — Jesus Christ. God said to the serpent, “I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your seed and her seed; He shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise His heel”. The whole story of redemption in the Bible is the fulfillment of this prophecy. Without the sovereign love of the Father ministered to us through the Son and the Holy Spirit, there would be no real human freedom and no hope of everlasting life.